Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sweet Valley Thoughts

How's it going, my Interwebs buddies? I've been re-reading Sweet Valley books and then laughing at hilarious reviews on http://shannonsweetvalley.com/ and http://1bruce1.livejournal.com/ I thought I'd share some thoughts of my own on a the adventures of the Wacky Wakefield twins.





First of all, I'm going to rate the different series.
1. Sweet Valley Jr. High- The most realistic, by far, in my opinion. Maybe it's fact everyone can relate to the switching schools scenario. I don't know what the reason is, but I've become attached to Kristen and Anna. They are so down to earth and cool. And Lacey replaces Lila Fowler with her constant snarking.


                                                 

2. Sweet Valley Twins- Instead of cheating over boyfriends and spiking each other's punches, Elizabeth and Jessica aren't total jerks in this series like they are in Sweet Valley High! They are generally good people. *le gasp* If only they stayed that way. True, Jessica is still evil-ish, but she is only twelve in SVT and would not go as far as to spike her sister's punch at some crazy party like she'd grow up to do at age sixteen.

                                                       
                                             

3. Sweet Valley High- As absolutely ridiculous as the story lines are, I cannot help admitting my guilty pleasure in reading these books. And for that reason only, I cannot put them last. Kidnapping, vampires, wild parties, nearly escaping death miraculously (multiple times, that is), these books never bore me. But, Jessica is a crazy psychopath who is evil and bad to the core while Elizabeth is a fluffy little bunny who poops rainbows and sunshine.

                                   

4. Sweet Valley Kids- Really easy reads. Kind of boring and not much really happens. Ehh. I haven't read the whole series. Couldn't get past three of them.
                               


5. Sweet Valley High- Senior Year- Definitely the worst. The new characters are all pooheads who need serious personality makeovers and need to get over their petty little insignificant problems. They keep on moping about dating and ignore the few things in life that really matter. Like family, school, and their future. Sure, they mention these things with subplots about divorced parents and scholarship contests (emphasis on MENTIONED), but it lasts about five seconds and then the dumb characters go back to crying over having no boyfriend. Go die.










Second of all, I have noticed that a recurring theme in these books is beauty. The ghost writers for Francine spend over half of every book just describing how slim someone is, how  much time someone spends on their tan, or how long and thick someone's hair is. It's sickening, really. That being said, the constant description of the twins makes me think of Aly and A.J. Michalka. You know, the girls on Disney Channel who starred in that silly movie called Cow Belles? They apparently have some sort of a band right now called 78violet. They actually sing pretty well. I wonder what Liz and Jess would sound like. *cringes* Anyways, except for eye color, I see Liz and Jess as Aly and A.J. I personally feel that they should be used as cover models, not the "pretty" girls they have been using for SV book covers. Just saying
                     



That's all for now!
-Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment